You can get free and confidential advice from qualified money advisors, through either your local authorities money advice office/helpline or through your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Your local consumer and money advisors will advise you on:
- How to deal with your debts
- How to create an income and expenditure plan for your personal/household circumstances. They will also work through the creation of the plan with you. You will not be on your own.
- How to deal with emergency situations e.g. if your bank account has been frozen, wages arrested or if your key supplies e.g. electricity and gas, have been cut off.
- How to develop a debt repayment plan and if appropriate they will advise you on your options if you are being taken to court to recover a debt.
Give them a call to arrange an appointment and do check out the information contained on their websites. If you are in any doubt, please do contact us and we can refer you to the appropriate agency in your local area.
Useful links and telephone numbers
- Money Advice Scotland www.moneyadvicescotland.org.uk
- Stepchange 0800-138-1111 www.stepchange.org
- Citizens Advice 0345-404-0506 www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- Citizens Advice Scotland 0800-028-1456 www.cas.org.uk
- The Debt Arrangement Scheme – www.aib.gov.uk/debt-arrangement-scheme
- Scottish Debtline 0800-138-3328 www.nationaldebtline.org
- National Debtline 0808-808-4000 www.nationaldebtline.org
- MIND – Tel 0330 123 3393 www.mind.org.uk
- SAMH (The Scottish Association for Mental Health) – Tel 0141 959 1911 www.samh.org.uk
- Glasgow’s Advice and Information Network: www.gain4u.org.uk
- Renfrewshire Council Debt & Money Advice 0300-300-1238.
- Glasgow’s Helping Heroes (for those who have served in the armed forces) 0141-276-7199 www.glasgowshelpingheroes.org
- Fife Council Covid Community Helpline – 0800 952 0330 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm. www.fife.gov.uk/covidassistance
- Fife Citizens Advice & Rights Fife (CARF) – Money Advice Helpline – 03451 400 094 – General Helpline – 03451 400 095